Special Care Nursery Air dry paints - * The Washes* No.4 - 30ml DARK PIGMENTED WASH. For Use With The Special Care Nursery Air Dry Reborning Paint Ra
- *The Washes* No.4 - 30ml DARK PIGMENTEDWASH from the Special Care Nursery range of paints for trouble free reborning!
A 30ml bottle of our Dark Pigmented Wash.
This is used for the fourth layer of the colour building.
It forms the effect of the natural colour of the melanin and bilirubin pigment layer in real baby flesh. Add more layers of this wash for realistic 'new' babies that are a few days old. Babies are born with a much higher red blood count than they need and in the first few days of their life this is broken down and expelled. A by product of this process is the excessive bilirubin in the blood that often gives the gorgeous jaundiced, tanned/dark tint to the skintone.
The colour is much more subtle when applied!
This wash is made specifically as part of our complete range of air dry reborning paints and is best applied with a damp sponge to the vinyl parts.
The washes are formulated from a variety of pigments and mediums to allow them to be compatible with the vinyl surface of reborn baby parts.
They are designed to be applied directly from the bottle with a damp brush to a damp sponge. However they can also be diluted further with our ready mixed Distilled Thinners with added Bonding Medium to be applied in even thinner, more subtle layers for even more added depth to the skin tones.
Dries enough to re-coat in around 10 minutes depending on conditions.
This allows plenty of time to work the paint but there is always an option to add a small amount of our Slow Drying Medium should a longer drying time be preferred - this makes them totally flexible!
Please read full instructions below for optimum information.
They will last such a long time and reborn many babies - excellent value for money!
If you are wishing to order more reborn supplies and want to save on postage you may want to purchase your paints from I Art Reborn who have a fantastic inventory.
Please note - we do ship internationally but customs charges may apply.
Our USA stockist is Sweetie Pie Nursery
Some questions answered.
- Are they safe? Yes, totally. All the components are tested to British safety standards and do not require any health safety warnings on the labels.
- Can the paints and thinners be posted? Yes, they are totally non-flammable and unrestricted unlike Odourless mineral thinners which are now illegal and prohibited within the postal system.
- Do they need to be heat dried? No, they dry quickly in air within 10 minutes – ready to add the next layer.
- What if I work much slower? No problem, you just need to add a little of our ‘Slow Drying Medium’ and you can adjust the drying time to suit your pace.
- What if I make a mistake? No problem, whilst they are still wet they will simply wipe off effortlessly with a sponge and water.
- Do they need a base coat? No, unlike some other air dry paint ranges they are properly formulated to adhere straight to the vinyl. There is no beading or struggling to work the paint onto the vinyl surface.
- Will the colours stay true? Yes, absolutely. All oil based paints yellow over time depending on how much light they are subjected to – including Genesis paints. Our paints have no oil in at all and the colours will always remain true.
- Can they rub off over time? Absolutely not! Once set they cannot be rubbed off no matter how hard you might try (I have actually damaged the vinyl on one baby whilst scratching away to test their permanence – the vinyl has a decent scratch on it but the colour is still there!)
- What if I want to remove paint that has dried? No problem, paint removers will strip the paint off.
- Why are there such strange colours in the set? The colours are designed from an anatomical aspect. They represent the shades in the layers of real flesh and skin, building up a very natural and realistic look for your reborn babies.
- What if I want to vary my skin tones? Not a problem. You can vary the amounts of each layer you apply to achieve different looks i.e. more layers of pigment for darker/jaundiced look; more blues and darker reds for newborn and mottled looks.
- Why are there no ethnic colours? There will be after the New Year. The paints are being released in stages. This starter set enables the easy production of all Caucasian skin tones.
- What if I want to mix my own colours? The whole range is fully interchangeable. Any of the washes, detailing paints, mediums and pure paints can be mixed with each other.
- What are ‘Pure Paints’? The bottles in the starter set are ready to use mixes of pure paints, mediums and distilled thinners. A full range of mediums, thinners and pure paints will be available after the New Year. The pure paints are the concentrated pigments (similar to the jars of Genesis paints) which will be available for experienced reborners or those who want to totally experiment and mix all their own paints from scratch for a totally unique look.
Special Care Nursery Air dry paints for reborning
We were inspired to develop these paints for many reasons but primarily for health worries, ease of use and cost!
Although most vinyl kits are now phthalphate and lead free we really do not know for sure what health risks may arise from continued exposure to heating the vinyl parts when setting the heat dry oil paints. My main concern was for my family – I did not want to find out down the line that I had damaged them in any way by exposing them to fumes that may be revealed as toxic in some way.
I wanted paints that were non-toxic and dried without heat. I wanted them to be easy to use, versatile and flexible. Most of all I wanted quality without the expense!
After over a year of research, investigation, experimentation and recently trial runs – I am finally happy with the range we developed and are thrilled to be able to share them with you J
There is information available on all the ranges and mediums along with basic information and instructions for use.
We are sure you will be as happy with them as we are but if you have any further questions or queries we will be more than happy to help.
Special Care Nursery Air dry paints for reborning
The paint range
The paint range consists of:-
- Detailing paints
- Concentrated paint
These washes are available in 3oml bottles and are ready to use. They are available in a number of shades and are designed for application with a damp sponge. They consist of a combination of pigments and mediums with the specific ability to stick to vinyl providing subtle results that can built upon – layer after layer. There are neutralising shades along with a variety of washes for building up a variety of skin tones. (Ethnic skin tones are not tested yet but should be available before Christmas).
The washes can be used as they are but are also fully mixable with other paints and mediums in the range if you want to tweak the shades, texture, consistency or drying time. The washes are a perfect product for beginners or those who are not confident with mixing colours or those who do not want to waste time constantly mixing their paints. They also provide a wonderful base for those who like to experiment.
These paints are bottled in 10ml bottles with tamper proof lids. They have a ‘dropper stopper’ that allows you to add drops of paint to your palette to avoid waste. You can remove this stopper and use straight from the bottle if preferred. They are designed to be used with a brush and again consist of a mixture of pigments and mediums for direct application to the vinyl but can also be mixed with any of the products from the range.
The detailing paints are slightly thicker in consistency and not as ‘watery’. They are lightly pigmented like the washes which makes them subtle and easy to use.
They are available in colour ranges for creases, eyelids, veining, nail tips and lips. I am considering paints for blemishes, cuts, milk spots and stork bites – depending on demand J
These are basically as the title! Sold in 10ml pots these are the paints without any mediums added. Small amounts can be used to add to the bottles of washes or detailing paints for changing or enhancing the base shades.
Alternatively they can be mixed from scratch (similar to mixing Genesis paints) with mediums and/or distilled thinner for unique shades, viscosity and texture. The colours are all similar to the colours in the Genesis paint range including most Genesis reborning shades.
The air dry paints are basically water based but they cannot be mixed with just water. If you want to mix your own from the pure paint you will need to mix in other mediums from the range. The mediums are:-
- Distilled water thinner – for dilution*
- Bonding medium – responsible for making the paint stick!
- Thinning medium – Dilutes the colour, not the consistency.
- Thick medium – For maintaining texture e.g. with eyebrows.
- Slow drying medium – Extends the drying time of the paint.
- Matte varnish
- Satin varnish
- Gloss varnish
*Distilled water thinner is highly recommended for diluting the pure paints. Tap water has many additives and impurities that may affect the pigments over time. It can form a scum on the paint, develop an awful smell and can even grow mould L
Bottled drinking water and filtered water still contain trace elements and minerals that may also affect the paint over time so are not recommended either. These same adverse effects can also occur over time with de-ionised water which is purer than the others but not as pure as distilled water which is literally condensed steam.
Instructions on all the mediums are available in the instruction leaflet although most of them are self explanatory.
Washes - £3.95 for 30mls (£20.00 for 6 x 30mls bottles – starter set offer.) Individual prices £23.70 (saving £3.70).
Detailing paint - £3.50 for 10mls (£18 for 6 x 10mls dropper bottles – starter set offer.) Individual prices £21.00 (saving £3.00).
Combined set of both washes and detailing paints for only £35.00 saving a massive £9.70 on individual prices!!
Pure paint - £3.50 for 10mls
Mediums - £2.75 for a 10ml dropper bottle; £4.25 for a 30ml bottle.
Postage will be £3.25 within the UK regardless of quantity.
Instructions for using the Special Care Nursery air dry paints for reborning
Thank you for choosing our paints for your reborning – we are sure you will enjoy using them and that you will be pleased with how easy to use they are. They are totally versatile and are suited to reborn artists of all skill levels. They are specifically designed to work well on vinyl with the correct, easy preparation!
They are safe and quick to use – no baking required to set and no potential health risks from fumes for yourself or your family.
The following information provides guidelines for use, allowing you to be flexible and introduce your own artistic skills.
Unlike a lot of air dry paints the paints are totally compatible with the vinyl surface making them permanent. They will not fade, rub off or yellow (over time oil paints can yellow depending on a lack of continued light source) so their colour will remain true. However, they do not mix with oil so it is essential your vinyl parts are oil free before you start. Any oils or impurities can easily be removed by wiping over all parts with odourless thinners and a clean cosmetic wedge/sponge.
If you are using these paints purely for health reasons and do not want to use any odourless thinners, it is absolutely fine to ‘bath’ your vinyl parts in washing up liquid (this is more suitable than ‘baby bath’ which isn’t as powerful at de-greasing). Rub neat washing up liquid all over the surface of the vinyl parts - paying particular attention to creases. Rinse them thouroughly with clean water and allow to dry. (Do not dry with a towel as this can leave lint on the surface which can stick to the paint once applied.)If you are cleaning the vinyl this way please ensure that you only wash the outside of the parts – if water gets inside the parts it may not dry properly and can form mouldy patches that can show through.
Make sure you keep your hands oil/grease free and work in a dust free environment away from lint or pet hairs!
Applying the washes
The washes form the basis of all the skin tones. They are made with no added chemicals – they have an oudour similar to emulsion paint which is normal. They are a combination of pigments, mediums and distilled water thinners specifically designed to adhere to vinyl. They are designed to build layers of the natural tones in real baby flesh and do not contain a ‘flesh’ colour paint which can be ‘flat’ and not as realistic. They can be used straight from the bottle (add a small amount to a palette or ramekin and dab all over with a clean damp sponge) or can be thinned down if preferred with distilled water and bonding medium (these items are available separately or as a readymade combination for simplicity). They can be mixed together (e.g. mint and blue wash mixed together in varying amounts to make unique colours and shades or they can be made thicker by adding small amounts of ‘pure paint’ in the same shade or another shade to change the colour to suit your preferences. They dry quickly – in around 10 minutes so the next coat can be applied almost straight away. If they dry too quickly for you, one drop of slow drying medium can be added to 5 drops of paint – don’t add more than this or the paint may not dry.
Shake/mix well – the pigments and mediums will separate – this is normal. (The bonding medium will froth on shaking so it may be easier to mix with a small brush when the bottles are still full as the bubbles make shaking more difficult due to lack of space – don’t use a large brush when the bottle is full – it may overflow.)
You may find it easier to purchase some of our larger empty bottles to allow for easier mixing when the bottles are new and full. Mixing is much easier once the contents are less full.
- Clean Vinyl parts thouroughly - ensure ALL grease and oil is removed.
- Shake/mix well – the pigments and mediums will separate – this is normal.
- Apply to a clean, DAMP/WET sponge with a brush (blotting to remove excess if needed) by dabbing all over vinyl parts.
- Apply mint wash layers to tone down pink/red vinyl to a natural skin tone.
- Apply blue wash to tone down orange coloured vinyl to a natural skin tone.
- Add extra blue layers to slightly give a deep venous tint to the flesh shade.
- Add a ‘pigment wash’ now – this gives depth to the skin tones.
- Add layers of mottling shades with a sea sponge or pluck out ‘holes’ in a cosmetic wedge and dab lightly for mottled appearance.
- Add extra layers of mottling shades to cheeks, feet elbows etc
- Add more blue wash or jaundice wash if required.
- REPLACE LIDS when not in use – they WILL eventually dry out if not.
- Keep brushes and sponges wet or clean as the paint will set on them.
We will soon be adding various flesh tones for ethnic baby painting.
Applying the detailing paints
These paints are fairly self explanatory. They are applied with a clean, damp brush to simulate veins and to creases, eyelids, lips, nails, nail tips and brows. Shake/mix well and ALWAYS replace the caps. The dropper top can be removed if required but do replace as it keeps the bottle air tight when the lid is replaced.
They are of a thicker consistency to avoid ‘bleeding’ but are still subtle and can be used directly from the bottle or mixed with other paints/mediums in the range in the same way the washes can. If the colours are still too strong for you then they can be easily mixed with our thinners or thinning medium.
All the products in the range are interchangeable!
Have fun experimenting! If you have any further questions please do ask.